Hi guys!! This is a blog made by a bored, gay malaysian dude in UK. Join me in my attempts of balancing out my life while enjoying a few amateurish web-comic and hopefully some arts and crafts along the way =D . Feel free to drop me an email =3

Saturday 11 January 2014

Paris Restaurant review: Jean Restaurant (one michelin star)

Bear : We went to Paris for about 5 days, 3 of which were in Disneyland Paris. Disneyland is quite a journey away from the city itself, so we knew we only had 2 nights where we can venture for French food. With this in mind we booked a French restaurant even before we left the UK lol. 

This is the restaurant we've booked: Jean Restaurant.

The ambiance was nice, we got seated after waiting for a while, and we chose the 4 dishes tasting menu as usual.


Free entrée: tempura potato balls , cheese cake with vinegar sauce, squirt leg with cream and pudding soup. 


Bear: Small bites with interesting combinations of taste and texture. A mind-f**king start to showcase the chef's capability. Mixed well overall.

Bunny: pudding soup? tats cabonara cappuccino dear. And it's ducking disgusting D: . I like the first three but the weird texture of the cappucino makes me feel like I am eating overdue milk tat is in the process of becoming into a stinking cheese. But really the first three gives the restaurant a good start, it reminds me the two star restaurant pier a Terre haha. 

Bear: the pudding tasted well wa... I never had anything like this before so I kinda liked it hehe 




Starter: Raw Oyster and foei gras in chicken soup

Bear: Fresh oyster bedded on a foei gras, flooded with chicken soup, with lots of cheap vege made into a somewhat classy presentation. Doesn't mix that greatly although all food are good on their own.

Bunny: come to think of it, this is my favourite dish of the night. Mayb cuz I like oyster and foei gras. Hence by putting them both together it's so good tat I am willing to overlook the icky vegs tat float in the nice chicken soup they prepared. I like the fact tat they din sautee the foei gras. The rawness of the foei gras and oyster really packs a punch. 

Bear: vege are healthy and delicious! D: but I agree with you on the oyster hehe



Fish Dish: Fried cod fish fillet and classy vege (zucchini, peppers, mini capers, sea grape, and julienned leeks.)

Bear: The first time I heard about sea grape. Sea grape tasted like lady finger with its gooey texture. Fish fillet is like fish n chip's fillet, without the batter. The 'classy vege' (that's what the waiter said) sauce was ok but doesn't really relates to the fish. Fish with the soury sauce + deep fried ginger gave excellent texture but not excellent taste.

Bunny: I do not know tats grapes from the sea, too busy playing the updated version of plants and zombies lol. But frankly speaking the soup is too oily, reminds me of the Spanish way of cooking prawn tapas by using olive oil as a base. But at least the ones in Spain add white wine to curb the oiliness. I know they try to do tat here with the vegs, but it's clearly not enough. The turbot is tough and chicken-like by nature so no complaints there.  The grapes are like sweet caviar haha so I enjoy that.



Meat Dish: Roasted French Piglet Belly and Rib with pumpkin puree, celeriac fondant, pippin apples fried, truffle juice Autumn, brioche chestnut and rosemary.

Bear: Pork Tasted like roasted pork (燒肉) outside my house's chicken rice stall, truffle sauce and flakes did nothing on the pork as the pork is somewhat marinated to good taste already. Vege is good but disposable. Pumpkin yolk is very petit and special but cookie seems weird in a main dish.

Bunny: I hav to disagree about bear's opinion about the presence of the cookie. The pumpkin and the cookie help elevating the dishe's taste by adding another dimension. The pork is too rough, so the petite-ness of the gooey pumpkin tart thingy gives the taste a bit if quirkiness, which is a good thing.




Dark chocolate cake with crispy praline pecan nuts, chocolate ganache, almond milk "molecular" and lime sorbet.

Bear: Chocolate mix well with hazelnut crust at bottom as always. The 'almond milk molecular' thing is awkward. Lime sorbet doesn't match with choc, being sourish to the supposedly sweet chocolate.  

Bunny: I am not happy with the dessert, really. Z the lime is sour, the chocolate cake is bitter. How can u put them together? Ugh the bitter sour taste lingers in my mouth. They try to go for layers of different texture with the care. I appreciate that but the really, the mild taste of the cake should not go with the strong taste of the sorbet. It's not just awkward, it makes a disastrous end of its flow, washing away the customers' memories of the good dishes zzz

Bear: I smell a grumpy bunny >___<


Overall: Mixed review to this restaurant. I would like to praise the chef for his (or her, who knows?) effort in mixing and matching different ingredients to produce some of the finest dish I've had in France. I do liked some of them to be honest. Good effort there.

No comments:

Post a Comment